Friday, March 21, 2014

Artistic Representation of Humans Video Reviews

1. Explain why you selected the video you choose from the selection listed above.

I selected Cairo Museum because of all the choices it seemed the most interesting, as I feel I’ve read about Greeks and Romans and the Middle Ages so many times but only so much on Egypt. I was very interested in what it was going to show me.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
In More Human Than Human, this video tells us all about how humans appear in art. It showed how they used to make completely unrealistic examples of the human form in art, and they talked about how they were trying to exaggerate the parts and features they found perfect on humans – like in Greek art how the more perfect the body was the more godlike it was so humans were depicted with perfect bodies. To me it mirrors society today where photoshopped photos of women and men with perfect bodies are plastered all around it. It warps our perception of reality and what is actually real and beautiful – which I think was the message of the video. In the Cairo Museum video, it talked all about different artifacts from many different places shown in the museum. It shows us about the background of the exhibit and all the different, ancient artifacts it holds – and how many it holds, as there’s so many they can’t display all of them at once.
3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? 4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I think as usual the videos build off our readings. It brings to life the things read about and brings more of a visual to the things discussed. I think the videos were pretty interesting, and I really liked the Ciaro Museum video as it was particularly interesting to look at all the different artifacts and marvel at how long they’ve been there or how little we may even still know about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment