Friday, April 4, 2014

Art Making/Material Exploration: Exploring Line

On the Left:  Drawn with right hand(dominant), On the Right: Drawn with left hand (non-dominant)
1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
It was kind of terrifying because I am not even slightly an artist at all, and I know a lot of my artist friends hate drawing hands because they can "never get them right". And I can really see why, trying to draw them was awful for me (because I have no drawing skill). 

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
I chose pencil mainly because I'm used to pencil, I know how to work with it and can easily fix mistakes. I know when it comes to charcoal it's close to impossible to fix a mistake, also I have very little experience with charcoal so when given the choice I will always pick pencil. 

3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
Embarrassing. It was shockingly difficult just to hold the pencil well let alone draw straight lines with it. 

4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
It's certainly interesting to compare the two works. It is clear which is which, the lines from my dominant hand are much more defined and clear and definite, while with my non-dominant hand it's clear I didn't have much control. I think this would be more clear and definite a study from someone who could actually draw with their dominant hand, as the drawing with my dominant hand doesn't look that amazing. 

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?
I do not think so, unless I worked harder on making my left hand stronger and more controlled. It's too haphazard for my taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment