Saturday, March 15, 2014

Architecture Videos Review

For this I watched the first two videos, Prairie Style (Frank Lloyd Wright) and Architecture: The Science of Design.

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
For the Prairie Style video, I learned about how architects use the landscape in their work, that Wright thought there was a relationship between the structures built and their environment and that they could enhance each other. For the Science of Design video, I learned all about the structure of skyscrapers. I particularly like the part where they tested their model structures in wind tunnels to see how the structure would hold up in real life. I knew wind affected tall structures, but having it go into detail was very interesting.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
Well these videos just went more in depth to what we read in the text, such as discussing different styles and materials. It just went more in depth about specific types of materials and how they are used.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?
As usual, the videos gave built upon the knowledge I gained from the text book. But as a visual learner this really helped me to understand better what we read. I honestly had never thought so much about different structures or materials and how they were specifically selected and tested to work in different environments.
4. Why did you choose the films that you watched?
I chose the Prairie video because there had been a section in our reading about Frank Lloyd Wright and I wanted to build from that little blurb and go more in depth, also the photograph of one of his structures was absolutely beautiful and I wanted to know more about his methods. I chose the Science of Design video because I thought it would be interesting to learn more about the science behind structural design and see how they really worked and not just how they looked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment