Friday, April 11, 2014

African Art and Buddhism Video Reviews

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
I chose African Art: Legacy of Oppression because it both had a eye-catching title and because I found the African art shown in the book to be very interesting and would like to learn more about it. I also chose the Buddhism video because I’ve always found Buddhism to be a very interesting religion and would love to learn more about its artistic aspects.
2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
For the African video, it showed how masks were an important aspect of their culture as they were worn in rituals to connect with spirits. Another thing I learned was how the different symbols used in their art all have very specific meanings. It seemed pretty much every aspect of their masks and their art and such have very specific meaning to their beliefs. For the Buddhism video, the most interesting thing I learned from that video was about the Borobudur Temple. It took 100 years to build but was buried after only a few years after a volcano erupted. It was unearthed and eventually restored in the 1990s.
3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? 4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
Once again, the videos relate in that they bring a visual representation to what we read about, which is always helpful for me since I’m a very visual learner. The expansion on different topics was interesting and informative. I felt the videos were a good pairing with the readings and built on what I had learned from the chapters.


No comments:

Post a Comment