Friday, April 18, 2014

Video Reviews on Matisse/Picasso and Dada/Surrealism

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
I selected Matisse and Picasso and Dada and Surrealism because I’m aware of Matisse and Picasso and am interested to learn much more about them as they are two of the few artists I’m aware of. I chose the Dada and Surrealism as I’m very interested in Surrealism so I’d be interested to learn more about it.
2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
For the Matisse and Picasso video, I learned that Matisse and Picasso had a relationship I was unaware of. The video spoke of their similarities and their differences in their works. In the Dada and Surrealism video they spoke of the major artists in these fields. Specifically I was struck by the discussion of George Grosz. The video spoke all about his interactions with the Nazis and how they actually burned most of his works since he had a tendency to poke fun at his enemies in his works.
3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

Once again these videos are a nice visual representation of what was discussed in the book and it allowed for a more in-depth view of specific items, ideas, and people. They paired very well in my learning of the topic and were definitely helpful in my understanding of the topics at hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment